The earliest visible evidence of settlement is the Pictish Fort on the Hill overlooking Laggan. Dun-da-Lamh or Fort of Two Hands. This Iron Age fort is a significant landmark locally andnationally, with over 5000 tons of stone and 20 foot deep walls sitting on a large hill at the foot of three glens.
The name Laggan appears for the first time in its English name in the Register of Moray in 1239. But one of the most historical battles took place in the Parish of Laggan in 1187 at Garviemoor. The significant battle was between Duncan Ban MacWilliamwho had a strong claim to the Scottish Crown and William the Lyon (Scottish King 1165-1214). The battle was won by William and claimed the life of Duncan.
Early Christianity came to Laggan in the 6th Century with St. Kenneth who was a contemporary of St. Columba. He established a Church who’s ruins are just about visible. The burial grounds are considered second only to Iona.
Adverikie Estate has a number of large burial mounds considered to be seven early Scottish Kings.
The Corrieyairack Pass is a 770 m high pass in the Scottish Highlands. It was originally a drovers route from the Isles of Skye to Crieff but became a military road built by General Wade during the time of the Jacobite risings in the eighteenth century. Orginally constructed in 1731 and consisting of a number of bridges including a double span.
During the 1745 rising Laggan was a key location as Cluny Castle and the Macpherson Clan were supporting the Prince. Although 300 of Cluny men were not at Culloden the war came to Laggan with the Redcoats setting fire to Cluny Castle.
When the railways came to the highlands in 1864 Newtonmore and Kingussie drew more people in from the surrounding villages and Laggan began to depopulate. This continued to accelerate with the demise of forestry after 1900 and War took its toll as well.
The local free museum open to the public from April till the end of October. The museum houses the history past and present of the clan and is the focal point for the annual gathering in August. Tel 01540 673332
In Newtonmore and a must when visiting the area, but allow 3 hours for the visit. The Museum is free and with many reconstructed building spanning the history of the people of the highlands. With demonstrations, storytelling, crafts and music it brings the past back to life. As a Green Tourism Member like us you are supporting their efforts. Open April till October. Tel 01540 661307
Located just outside Kingussie and visable from the A9, stands Ruthven Barracks. Built after the 1715 Jacobite uprising and burned down by Bonnie Prince Charlie’s army in 1746. Free admission and open access.
Just down the A9 towards Perth stands the ancient home of the Dukes and Earls of Atholl, dating from 1269. Reputed to be the last castle besieged in Britain and home to the only private army in Europe, the Atholl Highlanders who march each year. A castle steeped in history with lots to explore. As a Green Tourism Member like us you are supporting their efforts.